Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Anniversary Trip



Benj and I are six married years old as of this Saturday. My, how time flies when you are married to your best friend. We really lived it up this year with a overnight getaway to Portland while Sophia had her first over-nighter with her Grandma Kathy and Papa. All parties were satisfied with this arrangement before and after the stay, so although it was our first night away together since Sophia was born it certainly won't be our last.



Here we are on our way to The Portland Saturday Market. I haven't been since I was a Freshman in college and Ben had never been. It is a very fun place to people watch and if you should decide you'd like a lawn gnome with your face on it you can get one there.

After The Saturday Market we went to The Japanese Gardens. I have seen brochures for this place and it looked spectacular, but nobody I talked to had ever been. Doesn't that seem odd? I wondered if it would be like watching a commercial to a really good looking movie only to discover they showed all the best scenes in the previews. So with my expectations set pretty low we visited the gardens. I'll let you take a look at my pictures and you can decide for yourselves, but I'm already planning my trip back this fall.



The Portland Japanese Gardens are said to be the largest Japanese gardens in the world outside of Japan. They are built on 5.5 acres.

Heron Statuary



The Falls


One thing I was curious to find out is what makes a garden a Japanese garden?

This picture sums up the three elements in a Japanese garden in one breathtaking glance. Stone, the bones of the garden; water, the life-giving force; and plants, the tapestry of the four seasons.

As you can see the gardens are so beautiful they are almost magical. By this time I was in such a trance that if a unicorn were to frolic by it would not have seemed out of place to me.


Check out the size of the koi in this pond. Jinkies!




The majority of the gardens are shaded by a thick canopy of trees, which really helps you forget you are just outside of downtown Portland - until you hear the zoo train whistle.

The gardens are made up of five distinct gardens. This particular one proved to be a little too abstract for my taste. It's pea gravel that has been raked into a very flowing pattern, which is supposed to represent the sea...

Hmm. Still not there yet....



And the grand finale as you finish your tour of the gardens is a stunning view of the city below with Mount Hood keeping watch. I wish we could have captured the mountain in the background for the picture.What a perfect way to celebrate our first six years of marriage.

So - any takers for a trip back this fall?

8 comments:

  1. *SIGH* I miss the NW even more after this post.

    Happy Anniversary!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Maureen! Maybe you should come and visit us here in the NW sometime soon. We'd love to get together for a play date. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll be there in December and will be making the trek to see Miss Jenny and her clan...maybe we could stop by?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, yes! Sophia and I could stop by the Lucas' or you can give us a call. I'd love to see you and your boys!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Anniversary!! Beautiful pics of the gardens - we are in!! And I love the pics of you & Ben - so sweet!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We'll have to get a group email going around before I get there so we can work out all the details! Woohoo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, how'd I miss all this fun plannin? WOHOOOO for gettin' everyone together! Yay for an awesome anniversary trip, Manda Jeaner! So glad you two got to get away - looks like an awesome time! : )

    ReplyDelete
  8. How did I miss this post?! I just read it, and it looks like you too had such a great time! I will have to show this to Joaquin... I am trying to persuade him to take a little trip to Portland (aka Salem) this Spring...

    ReplyDelete