Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Cast Your Vote

My workout today came in the form of climbing up and down the attic ladder putting yet another box of too small baby clothes in its designated corner. As I finished a feeling of accomplishment swept over me. All things are in their place. At least for today. Taking a moment to look around I was reminded of an assortment of things that I forgot I even owned. Oh how I look forward to having a yard sale this summer. I can't wait to see all of these things I forgot I even owned leaving my yard with new, well intentioned owners. And then my eyes landed on a very ominous white crumpled pile on the floor of the attic. I momentarily froze in my tracks. Oh, how I have thought of you and then pushed the thought out of my mind because there seemed to be no remedy or fitting solution. We laughed, we cried, we toasted to the rest of our lives. And now there you lay - purposeless and orphaned on the attic floor.

[Excuse the drama, but Sophia has been sleeping for a very long time now and I am bored.]
For those of you who still aren't sure what I am talking about it's my wedding dress and I have no idea what to do with it. The first step seemed like to pick up the dress bag it lay crumpled in the bottom of and drag it into the family room. I was pleasantly surprised to find it in much better shape than I assumed. That must be some fabric because it wasn't even very wrinkled! Maybe I will be able to think better if I try it on. Well, it still fits! And since I wish I had worn better jewelry when I look at our wedding photos I tried on a short, delicate pearl necklace with a matching bracelet and earrings. Yes, if I had it to do over again I would definitely wear pearls. And that, my friends, is precisely the problem. It is without a doubt the most expensive dress I will ever own, yet I will never wear it again. Do I save it for sentimental reasons or sell it on e-Bay? Something about selling it doesn't feel right. But what good is it doing anyone hanging in a bag in my attic? And lets face it - how many girls really wanted to get married in their mom's wedding dress even IF she had saved it?

What did you do with your wedding dress? Is anyone else at a loss for what to do with theirs? Do I sell it on e-Bay and use the money for something Ben and I can enjoy now like a fancy dinner out or tickets to an event or do I file it under "N" for nostalgic memorabilia never to be parted with? HELP!

8 comments:

  1. Oooh, I'm interested to hear what people say. I have my wedding dress in a bag too, but mine is hiding in the back of my parent's attic or closet. I never thought about selling it on eBay. I would love some extra money to fall into our laps...

    However, a couple of years my sister and I held a surprise wedding anniversary party for my parents. We were able to display my mom's dress, which made for a very neat aspect to the party. But do you save a dress on the off chance people will want to look at it again at a surprise party?

    Thanks for the great topic to think about! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh such a tough question! I have my dress and tried it on a year ago and it still fit-so excitd! Now it won't but am hoping I can get it on again :) I think we should have a party and all of us girls wear our wedding dresses again! After that, I think I need to keep it for a while. Maybe in like 20 years I'll be ready to part with it. It just feels like it's too soon if I do it now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah: I love the idea of saving it as an anniversary party decoration! I would really love to put on a party and make it what I wish we could have afforded when we got married. Small, but really nice. At that point the dress will be like an heirloom or something. :)Thanks for your comments and for the great idea!

    Amanda: You found the absolute dress of your dreams didn't you? You should by all means keep it forever and ever! I was super overwhelmed with dress shopping and settled. It is pretty, but I'm sure I could have found something I would have liked more had I kept looking. BTW - you look so great! I would never believe you had a baby just a few short months ago if I didn't know you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have no idea what you should do but my gut reaction is for you to keep it. :) Thats why I still have mine, even though I never had it cleaned after the wedding and just shoved it in the back of a closet afterward! I have a friend who married into a family where all the women bring their wedding dresses to display whenever there is a bridal shower for a gal getting married from or into the family. I thought it was a fab idea--especially because there were three generations of women and their dresses present. Very special.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have mine...but it sits in it's preservation box under a bed. Well when it's not in storage 10 states away. :) I like the idea of being able to pull it out and look at it every once in a while even though it really is 'useless' to me.

    Have you thought about repurposing it? A good seamstress could alter it and dye it another color and make it a formal you could actually wear. But then you wouldn't have your dress anymore for nostalgic reasons. And if you never go anywhere at that level, then you couldn't use a formal either. Hmmmm.... but you have inspired me to clean out all the formals in my closet (well once our stuff actually gets here). I have tons of dresses from mall the military functions we go to that I don't like a ton, but worked at the time I needed them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I meant to also say that you should post a picture of your dress. I can't remember what it looks like!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Look at all of your blog readers!! :) I think you should keep it too. Mine is shoved in the back of my closet & has grass stains on it from our reception - I never had it cleaned. :( But...I think for nostalgic reasons, you should keep it - then like Amanda said, we should all wear them someday (but not yet, b/c I don't fit into mine again yet). :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Super cute wallpaper, by the way.

    I agree, great question. Clearly I have not figured this one out either. I wanted to sell it years ago, but get stumped on the best way to do it. As I wait, I am sure it must depreciate or something. On the other hand, Savannah loves looking at our wedding pictures that hang in the living room, I am sure our girly girl would love to see the dress too. So hard to decide. I guess that is why it hangs in our oh so valuable closet space and takes up room.

    ReplyDelete