Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Dutch Oven Lovin'




This is my new Dutch oven in whom I am well pleased. Benj got it for me for Christmas by my request and I think I'm in love! Well, of course I'm in love with Benj. But I'm also in love with my Dutch oven and my husband certainly approves.

I don't know about you, but I'm tired of having to take two or three things out of a cupboard or drawer to get to the one thing I need. So I'm all about multipurpose these days and I am happy to report that my new Dutch oven is well worth the space it takes up. Since you can use it on the stove top and in the oven you can make an entire meal with only one major pot to wash up. Mercy!

Here are some of the Dutch oven recipes that have been filling my pot lately. I do have my favorites, but I've found it's hard to go wrong. And contrary to my previous belief some Dutch oven recipes are as quick to prepare as they are tasty. So please - if you don't have a Dutch oven, for the love of roast beef, don't wait until next Christmas to get one.


Pot Roast with Roast Vegetables :Very good pot roast. Not what I would call traditional. The gravy has a tomato base, which I liked, but I think my quest for the most perfect pot roast is still on.

Classic Chicken in Red Wine: Yum! If you try it I know the last step of adding 3 Tablespoons of Red Wine Vinegar sounds weird, but it totally worked out.

Pioneer Woman's Chicken Caccitore: So good. And I used skinless chicken thighs and it was still delish. I will make this again.

Pioneer Woman's Beef Stew with Beer and Paprika : - I was disappointed. The stew was more broth-like, not thick and rich like I want stew to be. It leaves me wondering if I did something wrong because all of the other PW recipes I've tried have been excellent....

Jambalaya : Son of a gun we'll have big fun on the Bayou! This is actually a Cooking Light recipe, which I am not actually opposed to, buuut....I decided to skip the turkey and double the Andouille sausage. Those of you who know me best understand I'm always looking for little opportunities like these to walk on the wild side. I've already made this twice. This one's a keeper for sure.

So happy cooking to you! Let me know if you have any tried and true Dutch oven recipes you'd be willing to share.

3 comments:

  1. Yum! I have made PW's Pot Roast a couple times in my dutch oven. It was a huge hit! A perfect winter meal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Miss Jess! I'll give it a whirl. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ummmm yum! I'll bring my own fork!! :) The Jambalya looks awesome {spelling?}. I'll bring dessert & fork even... :)

    ReplyDelete